Nearly 2 million 3rd-party sellers exist on Amazon, making it the biggest ecommerce marketplace in the world. Brands sell on Amazon because of the enormous traffic and access to buyers. Many of those sellers are brands who operate their own Shopify store as well as sell on Amazon. If you’re one of those ecommerce merchants who sell on Shopify and on Amazon, you know the massive chasm that exists between what you can learn about your customers for your own website, and the struggle behind getting a deeper understanding of your Amazon purchasing patterns.
Amazon is notorious for not providing customer data; Amazon sellers only receive product, fulfillment, and order data from the reporting interface, but when they need to go further to understand the repeat purchase patterns of customers, they’re in the dark. Questions that can be answered from the data provided – what are people buying together in their cart, and what and when do they come back and repurchase (repurchase & retention analysis).
The bottom line is, when you’re an ecommerce merchant, understanding your customer purchasing behavior is how you can unlock real growth. And Amazon analytics leave a big gap in that department.
The Issue with Amazon Analytics
In the past, you could at least get a high level understanding of your repurchase behavior on Amazon. It usually involved matching your customers’ first names, last names, zip codes and maybe one other data point if you had it. And even then, it took manual work of pulling and matching that data, which led to rough approximations of repurchase patterns – common names in large metropolitan zip codes got messy, but hey, it was at least something to work with.
But now, as Amazon gives merchants less and less data to work with, any semblance of reliable repurchase data is hard to come by.
That’s where Peel comes in. If you don’t read on and just need the TL;DR this is it:
We’re unlocking your Amazon customer retention rate and purchasing behavior data, helping you get more of those crucial 2nd & 3rd purchases from your Amazon customers. If you sell on Shopify, connect Peel and then you can seamlessly integrate your Amazon account.
Your Amazon Retention Story in Peel
Peel breaks down your Amazon data, so you can elevate your marketing strategy and get your customers to purchase more frequently.
Here are some of the most essential analysis tools you get in Peel, that upgrade your Amazon analytics and show you what your customers are purchasing and how often they’re repurchasing.
Cohort Analysis is the core of your Amazon retention metrics. Our Cohort Analysis for Amazon takes your monthly customer acquisition groups and tracks the way they are purchasing from your Amazon store. Here are the highlights:
- Repurchase Rate - This is the all-star of your retention story. This tells you the rate at which your customers are coming back and making purchases. No more matching name and zip codes with the scraps of whatever other data you could pull. This shows you your customer repurchase data, full stop.
- Customer Lifetime Value (LTV) - This cohort metrics shows you how your monthly customer groups are spending with your Amazon store over time. This can help you validate certain product or discount strategies. Will your January 2023 cohort have a high LTV after 3-6 months? Why is that? Did you discount certain products or start selling a certain bundle that drove in higher value customers? Can segment by your products, discount codes, and more to find those answers and repeat your successes.
And here’s the list of the other Retention Metrics you get in Peel:
- Cohort Customers per Count Of Days With Order
- Cohort Customers per Number Of Orders
- Customers Returning Rate
- Days since First Order
- Orders per Customer
- Orders per Month
- Repeat Orders Rate
- Repurchase Rate
The more you know about your retention story, and the more visibility you have into your customer purchasing patterns, the better you can plan marketing messaging and discount strategies. These two are just scratching the surface of the 25 Cohort Analyses in Peel.
On the other side of the customer data coin is your product performance data. We offer some key metrics that show you exactly what your Amazon customers are buying, in what combinations, and when. Here’s the download on Amazon Product Analytics in Peel:
- Customer Purchasing Journey - The Purchasing Journey gives you a visual map of what your customers are buying. After customers have a certain product in their first purchase, you can see what products those customers come back for in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th purchases. This helps you predict your customer purchasing patterns and engage the right customers when they’re primed to buy specific products from your Amazon store.
- Market Basket Analysis - This analysis shows you your most commonly purchased product combos. This can help you create on-page bundle recommendations for your listings and better strategy around how you’re cross selling and even upselling your products in your Amazon listings or marketing messages.
New vs. Returning & Blended Metrics.
Amazon doesn’t just have to be about new customers. You can measure: Revenue (Total Sales, Net Sales, Gross Sales), Orders, Average Order Value (AOV) for all customers, just new customers, or returning customers. And you can do all of that just for your Amazon business if you choose.
Measuring new customer data helps you strategize around acquisition and converting those customers to repeat purchasers. Returning customer data gives you your true retention story, so you can optimize and get customers coming back faster for those 2nd and 3rd purchases. Blended metrics give you the full picture of new and returning customers together. You’re covered from every angle!
Amazon Promotions, Fulfillment Channel, ASIN, SKU
The details of your Amazon orders can be analyzed across all the metrics, especially the retention metrics. You can segment all the metrics in Peel by Amazon Promotions, Fulfillment channel – whether it is Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) or Fulfilled by Merchant (FBM) segments, ASIN, SKU, locations, etc.
- Repurchase rate by Amazon promotions?
- Customers Returning Rate by ASIN?
- Lifetime Value of Amazon customers by SKU?
All available in Peel’s analysis of your Amazon store.
Upgrade Your Amazon Analytics Today
Your Amazon customer retention story and product analytics are just part of the value in Peel. We also automate so many of the growth metrics that can help you solve the post-purchase puzzle on Amazon; classics like Average Order Value (AOV), Revenue Growth Rate, Profit Metrics and so much more help round out the full story of your Amazon store performance.
If you’re on Shopify, you can get started with a free 7-day trial and connect your Amazon store to get the FULL post-purchase picture from both sides of your business & then add our Amazon dashboard to see all the metrics up close.